The Division of Student Engagement and Success at Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi assists students in attaining their educational goals. Our services create a supportive learning environment for personaland professional development to prepare students for responsible citizenship and lifelong learning. We strive for excellence in serving our students, campus and community engagement, leadership development and inclusion.
Excellence * Integrity * Leadership * Sustainability * Inclusion
Goal: Provide a challenging, learning-centered environment that promotes student success.
Objective 1: Facilitate learning-centered, co-curricular initiatives based on student learning outcomes to develop leadership, career and life skills.
- Strategy 1: Facilitate initiatives so the student will be able to make ethical decisions and exhibit social responsibility.
- Strategy 2: Facilitate initiatives so the student will be able to learn, practice and embrace inclusion of diverse cultures while living in a global society.
- Strategy 3: Facilitate initiatives so the student will be able to learn effective communication skills.
- Strategy 4: Facilitate initiatives so the student will be able to think critically.
- Strategy 5: Facilitate initiatives so the student will be able to articulate knowledge gained outside the classroom.
- Strategy 6: Facilitate initiatives so the student will be able to integrate broad knowledge.
Objective 2: Create a challenging and supportive educational environment to prepare students for success in the global community.
- Strategy 1: Incorporate High Impact Educational Practices demonstrated to improve student learning and success including:
- Collaborative Projects
- Diversity/Global Learning
- Community-Based Learning and Service Learning
- Internships and Practicums
- Strategy 2: Create new initiatives to enrich the learning environment through collaboration among faculty, staff, and students.
- Strategy 3: Ensure that programs provide learning experiences working within culturally diverse groups.
- Strategy 4: Engage international companies located in the area to provide global perspectives for programming.
- Strategy 5: Create international cultural and service learning experiences for students and staff.
Goal: Enhance a supportive campus that celebrates engaged learning in an inclusive environment.
Objective 1: Develop an environment of inclusiveness and mutual respect.
- Strategy 1: Create programs to educate the campus community on inclusion, compassion and respect.
- Strategy 2: Create programs to encourage and support inclusion.
Objective 2: Provide a supportive campus environment for learning and development.
- Strategy 1: Increase programs and services to meet the needs of a growing and diverse student body.
- Strategy 2: Provide opportunities to support personal growth and develop leadership skills for all students, including students at a distance.
- Strategy 3: Develop and support programs to encourage students, faculty and staff to focus on personal wellness.
- Strategy 4: Enhance our services for students who are active duty military and veterans.
- Strategy 5: Expand and enhance effective programs designed to improve student retention and graduation, especially for those from under-represented and under-served populations.
- Strategy 6: Engage staff and community members as partners in student mentoring.
Objective 3: Encourage a culture of excellence and service.
- Strategy 1: Provide friendly, effective and efficient service at all times.
- Strategy 2: Provide proactive training on customer service and job skills to staff.
- Strategy 3: Recognize great performance and achievements.
Objective 4: Celebrate university traditions and achievements.
- Strategy 1: Increase school spirit university wide (students, faculty, staff and alumni).
- Strategy 2: Increase awareness about campus events and traditions.
- Strategy 3: Increase campus and community awareness of division achievements.
Goal: Build and sustain mutually beneficial relationships with stakeholders through community engagement.
Objective 1: Increase intentional and visible engagement in our community.
- Strategy 1: Communicate the role every Islander has in representing the university to the community.
- Strategy 2: Provide timely and effective resources and information to facilitate community engagement.
- Strategy 3: Use technology to manage volunteer opportunities in our community.
- Strategy 4: Encourage participation of university teams that are easily identifiable at community events.
- Strategy 5: Expand the Big Event to include faculty, staff and alumni.
- Strategy 6: Expand service learning and civic engagement opportunities for students.
- Strategy 7: Promote opportunities and support employees to hold volunteer and leadership positions with the campus, the community and professional associations.
Objective 2: Ensure our graduates meet the expectations of employers for work, critical thinking and communication skills.
- Strategy 1: Assess workforce needs.
- Strategy 2: Assess employer perception of graduate and intern career readiness.
- Strategy 3: Partner with Academic Affairs to ensure that students are prepared to meet identified workforce needs.
- Strategy 4: Expand and improve internship programs to maximize participation and the quality of the experience.
Objective 3: Encourage community members to identify with the University as an integral part of the Coastal Bend.
- Strategy 1: Utilize targeted strategies for communicating relevant programs and activities to the community.
- Strategy 2: Invite and encourage community participation in campus events.
Resources and Accountability
Goal: Develop and manage resources to efficiently and effectively achieve the mission of the division of Student Engagement & Success.
Objective 1: Manage human resources to provide optimal staffing.
- Strategy 1: Increase the number of qualified staff to meet the needs of a growing university.
- Strategy 2: Provide competitive compensation and advancement opportunities to recruit and retain staff.
- Strategy 3: Provide staff with timely information and the appropriate resources to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Strategy 4: Review administrative structures, as needed, to ensure effectiveness and efficiency.
- Strategy 5: Increase mentoring, professional development and recognition opportunities to retain staff.
- Strategy 6: Provide support and resources to students outside normal operating hours.
Objective 2: Maintain a safe, functional and aesthetically pleasing campus environment that supports a growing student population.
- Strategy 1: Investigate and expand programs and services to keep pace with university growth.
- Graduate Student Support and Programs
- Veteran’s Programs
- Campus Ombuds
- Student Legal Services
- Inclusion Initiatives
- Distance Education Student Initiatives
- Commuter Programs
- Child Care
- Summer Programming
- Bridge Program
- Residential Learning Communities
- Transit Services
- Nutrition Programming
- Strategy 2: Expand and improve facilities.
- Health Center
- Counseling Center
- Disability Services Exam Facility
- Career Center
- Recreational Sports Aquatics Facility
- Recreational Sports Facility improvements
- University Center improvements
- Strategy 3: Provide a safe and secure campus environment.
- Conduct an American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Transition Plan study and complete recommended actions to ensure mobility and access.
- Teach and model safe and responsible behaviors to students.
Objective 3: Manage financial, physical and technological resources efficiently, effectively and responsibly.
- Strategy 1: Identify and capture cost savings to maximize resources.
- Strategy 2: Utilize technology to streamline processes (Orgsync, Qualtrics, etc.).
- Strategy 3: Implement additional green initiatives to create a sustainable environment.
- Strategy 4: Improve evaluation of student learning outcomes and use the results to improve services and programming.
- Strategy 5: Use meaningful and data-driven assessment to increase the effectiveness of services and programing.