Awareness, understanding, appreciation and respect of the differences in others; understanding one’s own identity and culture; accepting the impact of diversity in society and respecting the viewpoints and contributions of those who are different from one’s self.
Examples of achievement include (but are not limited to):
- Articulating the advantages, challenges and impact of a diverse society.
- Seeking involvement with people different from oneself.
- Demonstrating appreciation for various forms of expression (including dress, language and fine arts) created from diverse perspectives.
- Questioning the use of stereotypes in an appropriate manner.
- Appropriately challenging the unfair, unjust or uncivil behavior of other individuals or groups (i.e. social justice).